Thursday, May 1, 2014

An Interview with Nevin Martell, author of Freak Show Without a Tent: Swimming with Piranhas, Getting Stoned in Fiji and Other Family Vacations

Guys, guys, guys. I'm currently having the worst writer's blog in the history of my very short novel writing "career". I have to admit this, and it's horrible: I haven't written a word in the last two weeks. I was totally flying along there and then had a couple of events and prior obligations to take care and BAM, I haven't been able to come back to it. I know that this is short lived, I'll feel the fire again soon... but, damn if it ain't frustrating. 

The life of an author?

Anywho, let's switch gears. I'm super psyched for today's interview and I hope you're all as eager for this as I am. Today, I present to all of you impressionable future author types, book-o-philes, and blog creepers, Nevin Martell, author of Freak Show Without a Tent: Swimming with Piranhas, Getting Stoned in Fiji and Other Family Vacations.

-Hi Nevin! So happy to have you with us today. What can you tell our readers about you and the kinds of books that you write?
NEVIN: I'm a Washington, DC-based food, travel and lifestyle writer. I regularly contribute to the Washington Post, Wine Enthusiast, the Travel Channel, NPR, and many others publications. I've written five books, including The Founding FarmersCookbook: 100 Recipes for True Food & Drink and the small press smash Lookingfor Calvin and Hobbes: The Unconventional Story of Bill Watterson and HisRevolutionary Comic Strip

-Any new works soon to hit shelves?
NEVIN: On June 24th, I'm publishing my travelogue-memoir FreakShow Without a Tent: Swimming with Piranhas, Getting Stoned in Fiji and OtherFamily Vacations. It's a hilarious misadventure about my family's trips to the South Pacific, South America and other exotic locales. 

-At what point in your life did you realize, “Whoa, I’m an author?” 
NEVIN: The day I quit my secure job with benefits at a television production company in the middle of the Great Recession. I had decided that I needed to write full-time again after spending a decade away from being a full-time writer. During the intervening years, I had done writing work on the side and published two books, but I didn't solely devote myself to the craft. When I decided that I had to write, it wasn't a decision that only affected me. If I failed, it would have profoundly negative implications for my wife and the family we hoped to build together. Needing to provide for us and wanting to make her proud was an amazing inspiration that really helped me on the tough days – and there were a lot of those in the beginning. Sometimes I'd find myself on the back porch watching the grass grow - while no one returned my emails and there were no assignments in the queue - thinking to myself, 'Did I make a monstrous mistake?' However, I persevered and just kept pitching until I started building up a client base, a portfolio and a reputation. Since reaching the tipping point, I haven't looked back - but I also haven't stopped pitching or pushing myself. Above my desk, I have a line that I scrawled on one of the tough days that I never let myself forget - "Hunger makes you stronger."

-Our readers are mostly new authors, still learning to navigate and be seen in the publishing universe. What advice can you give to readers of this blog who are having trouble standing out in a crowded industry?
NEVIN: Just don't give up. You will be rejected more than you will be accepted. Some of the worst rejections will be the silent ones when you send a carefully crafted pitch and just never hear back no matter how many times you follow up. If you do get an actual rejection, use it as an opening to find out what the publication might want from you or where they have holes that need filling. Once you do get an assignment, do the best job you can, be professional and leave your precious emotions out of your correspondences with them. You are selling yourself as a colleague as much as you're selling a story. Don't ever forget that even though you may never meet your editor face to face or even talk to them on the phone. 

-I often hear how important it is for authors to have a strong "platform." Is it really essential to have a million Twitter followers or can you still make it as an author without fully investing in social media?
NEVIN: Social media can be a cheap, fast way to get the word out on your projects. However, if you're going to do it, you have to be fully invested in it. Get on a couple of platforms, give your audience rich, rewarding content, and really devote yourself to building up your followers. Don't do lots of platforms just to say you're on them, while not doing anything to be engaged and engaging. I've picked Twitter and Facebook as my platforms of choice, so I make sure to post good content on each of them at least once a day, while also engaging with content from other users. 

-What are you reading right now?
NEVIN: The Lost City of Z by David Grann. It traces the intriguing life of Col. Percy Harrison Fawcett as he searches for a South American Shangri-La and the author's own explorations for the long-missing explorer and the legendary city he died trying to find.

-What kind of readers are most likely to be drawn to your work? 
NEVIN: I hope that fans of David Sedaris, J. Maarten Troost, P.J. O'Rourke will enjoy "Freak Show Without a Tent." Also, anyone who watches National Lampoon's "Vacation" films on repeat like I do.

-Anything else that you’d like our readers to know about you and or your books?
NEVIN: You can find me on Twitter @nevinmartell and online at nevinmartell.com

-Teaser for Freak Show Without a Tent: Swimming with Piranhas, Getting Stoned in Fiji and Other Family Vacations:
Fishing for piranhas in the Amazon, getting stoned at Fijian kava ceremonies, and witnessing the ancient ritual of land diving on Pentecost Island is the stuff of National Geographic cover stories and Nevin Martell’s childhood vacations. His family’s globetrotting took them from the South Pacific to South America and many points nowhere in-between. Though their lifestyle choices were eccentric, the locations they visited exotic, and the people they met extraordinary, these escapades are firmly grounded in the trials, tribulations, and tribal rivalries that plague all families. Freak Show Without a Tent is a grandly hilarious memoir-misadventure that is equal parts National Lampoon's Vacation, Romancing the Stone and Crocodile Dundee. To paraphrase a family motto: buy the ticket, take the ride, and hope you survive, so that you can tell your therapist all about it.

-Where can we buy your books?

Believe it or not, Nevin, I spent a year of my life living on a tiny island in the middle of the pacific. Majuro, Marshall Islands. Maybe you can spot me in this selfie that the island took of herself:
 Aside from the amoeba and the fact that I am now terrified of pigeons and Spam, it was one of the best experiences of my life. I can't wait to read Freak Show Without a Tent: Swimming with Piranhas, Getting Stoned in Fiji and Other Family Vacations.

Well, thanks for joining us today, Nevin, and good luck!

Get out there and pre-order this one, everyone! And keep checking back for more awesomeness... 
@RimerTom and @BookTalkGuy
 

No comments:

Post a Comment