Tuesday, April 1, 2014

10 Books that Made Me the Writer I am Today

In a recent interview with author Michael Haley, I asked the following question: "Are there any books, movies, or tv shows that have influenced how you write, whether it be in creating characters, worlds, dialogue, etc.?" After the interview, I realized from where, exactly, that question was coming from. I know that I have been heavily influenced by the books, movies, and tv shows that I have experienced in my lifetime. As a result, I decided to start by developing a list of the top 10 books that have helped in creating Tom Rimer, the writer. Each classic work has a place in my writer's heart and has served as a corner-stone of my mind's foundation. The following have influenced me in one way or another... for good and bad... for better or worse:

10. Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton
“Life will find a way.”  




















9. On The Road - Jack Kerouac
“Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road.”



















8. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis
“Well, sir, if things are real, they’re there all the time."
"Are they?" said the Professor; and Peter did not quite know what to say.”  



















7. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain
 “What's your name?"
"Becky Thatcher. What's yours? Oh, I know. It's Thomas Sawyer."
"That's the name they lick me by. I'm Tom when I'm good. You call me Tom, will you?"
"Yes”  



















6. Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
"Sleep tight 'ya morons!"



















5. The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien
“In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.”  




















4. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
“Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle.”  




















3. The Stand - Stephen King
“The place where you made your stand never mattered. Only that you were there...and still on your feet.”




















2. The Eye of the World - Robert Jordan
“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.”  



















1. Lord of the Flies - William Golding
   “What I mean is... maybe it's only us...”  

No comments:

Post a Comment