Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Let's begin...

Yes.  It's true.  I recently turned thirty and realized that my dream of writing and publishing a book... an actual book, had never quite materialized.  Sure, I'd had ideas over the years.  I'd even attempted to jot something down, here or there.  The problem was that I never really loved anything that I'd written.  I liked a few ideas... but I was never under any illusion that other people might actually want to read what I had put to paper.  For thirty years (well, maybe that's an exaggeration... I'm sure I wasn't toddling around with novel ideas), I have tried to convince myself to really dive into this.  I love writing and have just been waiting for that one amazing idea to break through.  I've been patient... I've waited... and then, one day, driving home from work with my wife (we carpool some weeks), it hit me.  There it was, as clear as the lenses on my glasses used to be before I became a father and started forgetting to clean my lenses.  My novel novel idea.  As it turns out, a sci-fi-ey-YA novel novel idea. Weird, for a guy who hasn't read The Hunger Games, Twilight, Percy Jackson, yada yada... I could go on. But I'm not going to stamp out an idea that's finally shown itself.

I scratched out a bunch of notes as quickly as I could and soon after started writing.  Not bad, I thought.  I think someone else... not my mom... might actually like this.

And so, with this blog, I invite you to join me on this adventure. Like everything, I got on this blog train and twitter thing kind of half-way through the process.  If you're willing to hop onto this already started party, great.  I can use all the advice and criticism you want to toss in my direction. Though I'm not close to sending out queries, or even entertaining the thought of letting anyone see my MS, I may just finally be at a place where (whenever I do finish) I'll be willing to show it off.

As my newly created twitter handle says: I'm a teacher, an aspiring writer... but, most importantly a husband and a father.  I hope that I can make Kacee and Alice proud of me.

-Tom

find me on the twitter thang:  @RimerTom

No comments:

Post a Comment